Concrete and Asphalt Assistant
What does a Concrete & Asphalt Assistant do?
Concrete and Asphalt Assistants are skilled labourers who help build or repair cement structures to achieve the desired outcome. Omnia Training's Concrete and Asphalt Assistant program will cover topics like proper techniques required for ground preparation, forming, rebar and/or mesh installation, transportation of products and cement, pouring, cure times, finishing methods and protection of the structure until the concrete has set.
What does the Concrete and Asphalt Assistant program include?
The 9-week Concrete and Asphalt Assistant Program is a meticulously structured training initiative designed to impart a thorough comprehension of the roles and responsibilities associated with concrete and asphalt labor. The program begins with an introductory module elucidating the significance of concrete and asphalt work in construction and infrastructure. Subsequent modules delve into concrete fundamentals, asphalt basics, identification and proper utilization of tools and equipment, site preparation, safety protocols, pouring and finishing techniques for concrete, asphalt installation and maintenance methods, and practical hands-on training. The course concludes with evaluations, certifications, and discussions on potential career pathways within the construction industry, ensuring that participants emerge well-equipped with both theoretical knowledge and practical skills essential for entry-level positions in concrete and asphalt construction.
Training Program Outline:
• Understanding the roles and responsibilities of a concrete and asphalt laborer.
• Importance of concrete and asphalt work in construction and infrastructure.
• Basic introduction to concrete components, mixing, and curing processes.
• Understanding different types of concrete and their applications.
• Introduction to asphalt composition, production, and application.
• Understanding the differences between various types of asphalt.
• Identification and proper use of tools and equipment in concrete and asphalt construction.
• Safety practices and maintenance procedures for construction tools.
• Preparing construction sites for concrete and asphalt work.
• Overview of safety protocols and procedures on construction sites.
• Techniques for pouring and finishing concrete for different applications.
• Understanding curing and sealing processes for concrete surfaces.
• Methods for installing and maintaining asphalt surfaces.
• Repair and maintenance techniques for asphalt driveways and roads.
• Hands-on experience in working with concrete and asphalt under supervision.
• Practice in pouring, finishing, and repairing concrete and asphalt surfaces.
• Review of course material through written and practical assessments.
• Discussion about career opportunities as a concrete and asphalt laborer in the construction industry.
Concrete and Asphalt Assistant job duties:
A concrete assistant is a skilled tradesperson who works with concrete by placing, finishing, protecting and repairing concrete in engineering and construction projects.
Concrete (finisher) assistants are often responsible for setting the concrete forms, ensuring they have the correct depth and pitch. They place the concrete either directly from the concrete wagon chute, concrete pump, concrete skip or wheelbarrow.
They spread the concrete using shovels and rakes, sometimes using a straightedge back and forth across the top of the forms to screed or level the freshly placed concrete. After leveling the concrete, they smooth the surface using either a hand trowel, a long handed bull float or by using powered floats. After the concrete has been leveled and floated, concrete finishers press an edger between the forms and the concrete to chamfer the edges so that they are less likely to chip.
Broom and stamp finishes are a couple of different finished products for outdoor concrete, after the trowel-finish is complete. The broom finish is used to prevent slipping on the concrete, and the stamp finish is used for looks.
Asphalt assistants are responsible for asphalt paving and performing common repair procedures for some asphalt damages.
Concrete and Asphalt Assistants
Concrete and Asphalt Assistants are skilled workers who have acquired the skill training necessary to perform any construction-related tasks. As with all careers in construction, safety is the top priority. With Omnia Training, we train with a safety focus. Interested? Contact Us for Pricing