Horizontal Directional Driller Assistant
What is Horizontal Directional Drilling?
Horizontal Direction Drilling (HDD) is generally accomplished in two stages. The first stage consists of directionally drilling a pilot hole along a designed directional path. The second stage consists of pulling back the conduit or cables back into the bore hole. When properly done, a target can be drilled to within inches of where it was intended. Servicing of the rig, caring for drill rods, mud mixing, an introduction to drill locating and all the other required duties of horizontal drilling will be covered in the classroom and of course, while sitting on the drill rig. Potential Job Opportunities: Shallow & deep utility installations, pipeline, geo-thermal, piling and well drilling.
What does the Horizontal Directional Driller Assistant program include?
OMNIA Training's directional drilling certification is a 9-week training program that covers integral aspects of the career that ultimately serves to ensure you are job ready. The training program includes the coverage of the following topics:
Introduction to directional drilling: Drilling instruction, introduction to calculations, and bore path planning. Extensive coverage of the specific problems that are associated with directional/horizontal drilling such as hole cleaning, torque, drill string component design, drag and logging are included.
Drill and equipment usage: Hands-on learning when it comes to the tools and techniques used in directional drilling. This includes drill rod loading, trailer loading/unloading, drill head locator to name a few.
Experience predictability: Students will be given the knowledge to predict bore paths. This will be learnt based on locates, work plans and other obstacles identified in the field.
Course Modules Outline:
- Introduction to various horizontal directional drilling (HDD) configurations, their structures, and respective uses.
- Detailed sessions on tandem setups with distinct specifications.
- Basic understanding of vehicle mechanics to promote technical insight.
- Lessons covering the functionality of the engine, transmission, axles, hydraulics system, suspension system, differentials, and brakes.
- Emphasis on the importance of pre-trip and post-trip inspections.
- Training on how to properly check fluid levels, tire conditions, brakes, lights, belts, and hoses.
- Imparting basic vehicle maintenance skills to troubleshoot minor issues on the job.
- Training on adhering to safety procedures and relevant regulations in HDD operations.
- Emphasis on wearing seatbelts, ensuring load limitations are not exceeded, understanding road weight capacity, and getting familiar with relevant traffic laws.
- Instructions on correct loading techniques, emphasizing keeping the HDD equipment balanced when loading and managing the center of gravity.
- Detailed lessons on how to properly unload materials in various conditions safely.
- Behind-the-wheel training to understand HDD equipment handling in diverse working conditions.
- Guidance on planning efficient routes considering factors such as load type and destination distance while accommodating restrictions like low bridges or weight-restricted roads.
Horizontal Directional Drilling
Servicing of the rig, caring for drill rods, mud mixing, an introduction to drill locating and all the other required duties of horizontal drilling will be covered in the classroom and of course, while sitting on the drill rig. Potential job opportunities are shallow and deep utility installations, pipeline, geo-thermal, piling and well drilling. Interested? Contact Us for Pricing